Sunday, February 5, 2012

In Loving Memory Of Matthew Sean Hanger, My Son

Luanne and I have lost our son, Matthew Sean Hanger.  He was a business analyst for Capital One Financial in  Richmond, Virginia, his first position, after graduating with honors from Duke University in 2011.  Matthew earned a major in economics and psychology.

Matthew loved Hershey, Pennsylvania, his home, and where he graduated from Hershey High School.  He loved and excelled at tennis, playing the number 1 court for the Varsity team from his freshman to senior year, when he was the team's captain.  As a youth player, he also was ranked in the top 25 by the United States Tennis Association for the Middle States Region and top 500 nationally.

Matthew was a master of trivia who used his storehouse of knowledge to captain the Hershey High School Quiz Bowl team that qualified in 2005 and 2006 for the National Academic Championships, the first times in team's history.  He was also a member of the Mathematics team.

Matthew gave Luanne and me great joy and taught us so much.  For example, he had a great way with children. We are thankful for and proud of him.

Nothing is more precious to parents than their children.  We love Matthew beyond what words can convey and are devastated by his loss.

We are having a family only funeral service, followed by a memorial service for Matthew that is open to friends.  The memorial service will be February 18th at 11:00am at the First United Methodist Church in Hershey.  For those who may wish to send flowers, please instead make a donation to the Trojan Foundation that supports the Hershey public schools.  Its address is PO Box 898, Hershey PA 17033.

I am suspending further posting to the blog until February 13, 2012.

15 comments:

  1. John: I am terribly sorry for your loss. Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a heartbreaking loss. John, please accept my sincerest condolences.
    -Tim Stuhldreher

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I'm so sorry for your loss.

    Twenty-five years ago, we lost my 23-year-old brother. Like you, my parents were devastated. While it is something impossible to get over, know that the pain will ease with time.

    Your faithful followers in the blogosphere will no doubt have you in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John: So sorry for your loss. Matthew sounds like quite a young man. May the great memories of him and the impact he has already had on others comfort you and your family in time. We will hold you up in prayer for comfort and peace.

      Delete
  4. John, Please accept our most sincere condolences. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Jim & Cynthia Jones

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sympathies to you and your family. There are no words which can express the grief of loosing a child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Losing a family member reminds us all of what's really important in life. One sentiment has always helped carry me through times like this - the sadness that you and your wife are now feeling is a direct reflection of the love your son shared with you while he was alive. As long as you carry his memory with you, he'll never really be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John, please accept my condolences. I am truly so sorry to hear of your loss.

    Dale Tice

    ReplyDelete
  8. John,

    I know any words would fall far short, so please just accept my sincerest condolences. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  9. John, you don't know me, but I was a coworker and friend of Matt's down here in Richmond. I joined the company the same day as he in the program for college grads and had enjoyed his company at least once a week for the past six months.

    I had lunch with Matt on that last Friday, so this news was (and still is) completely shocking to me. I've been overcome with grief and a sense of confusion since finding out. Last week, the empty seat at our weekly lunch was clearly felt by us all.

    Despite my own sorrow, I still can't imagine the grief you and your family must be experiencing right now. I'm truly sorry for your loss and my condolences are with you and your family during this difficult time. Matt was a great guy and I only wish I had more time to get to know him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My deepest condolences to you and your family for this terrible loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. John, I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Luanne. Sincerely, Mark Lauriello.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am deeply sorry for your terrible loss. I feel sad for your pain and, as a father myself, I grieve for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. John,

    I am just now reading this. I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your son. Words seem so inadequate. My sincere and deepest condolences to you, your wife, and family.

    - Fred Baldassare

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete